$10,000 in government grants for hurricane protection? There hasn’t been a better time in decades to protect your home and get hurricane protection.
Learn how you can apply to take advantage of this program below.
How do the My Safe Florida Homes hurricane protection grants work?
The Florida State Legislature has authorized a matching grant up to $10,000 for qualifying home hurricane mitigation projects (installation of hurricane shutters, windows, garage doors, and other hurricane protection systems) through the Department of Financial Services. This program provides $2 of grant funds for every $1 the homeowner contributes. To receive the maximum grant amount, homeowners must contribute at least $5,000 of their own funds to the project.
This is huge for Floridians looking to get hurricane protection. Take this example; for most homes, you would spend $10,000-$15,000 on accordion shutters for your home.
If you are accepted into the program for a grant, and you received a quote for $15,000 for accordion shutters, you would only need to provide $5,000 of your own money. You would save almost 70% on your hurricane protection for investments over $15,000.
Note: to receive the the full $10,000 grant, you must provide $5,000 of your own money.
After Hurricane Ian, the State of Florida launched this program to lessen the burden on Florida homeowners to get quality hurricane protection. As an approved contractor, we will be allowed to assist all awardees of the grant program to protect their homes.
How do I apply for the My Safe Florida Homes Wind Mitigation Grant?
We will help you throughout the process of applying for the government grants, but the basics of how the application process works are as follows;
Step 1. Wind Mitigation Inspection
All owners of site-built, single family, residential homes can submit an application for a wind mitigation home inspection (this determines how prepared your home is for hurricanes.) This inspection will check for any vulnerabilities in your home that need to be improved to withstand a hurricane. All Home Inspections will be provided for eligible homeowners for free by the State. Applications will be processed in the order they are received, until funds are depleted.
The State of Florida expects to complete around 140,000 free wind-mitigation inspections through the program.
Step 2. Wind Mitigation Grant Award
The Florida Legislature has passed a law that would provide homeowners who receive a wind mitigation inspection with the opportunity to apply for grants from programs in the Florida Department of Financial Services (DFS). These programs are geared towards helping these homeowners afford wind mitigation measures, and strengthen their homes to withstand hurricanes.
The eligibility criteria is as follows;
- Homeowner must submit proof of homestead exemption
- Homeowner must provide the declaration page of their property insurance policy to prove that their home is insured for less than $500,000.
- Your home must be in a wind-borne debris region of the state. Please use the map attached here to determine if your home is eligible for the grant program.
- The permit for the initial construction of your home must have been issued before Jan. 1, 2008 (you can get this information through your property appraisers office or website if you do not have it.)
- You must have all grant-covered work done by an MSFH program-approved contractor (We were one of the first to apply, and should be approved shortly. We were approved for MSFH’s last grant program in 2007)
- You must allow a inspector to inspect your home after the wind-mitigation work has been completed.
The State of Florida expects to award between 11,000 and 12,000 grants based on its current funding.
To learn more visit the My Safe Florida Home website.
Act fast to save on hurricane shutters and impact windows
Don’t miss this opportunity to apply for state funding for your hurricane protection project! This My Safe Florida Homes Wind Mitigation Grant will only be offered while funds last. Contact us if you have any questions.